Saturday, January 13, 2007

GMail Settings in Outlook 2007

It's quite possibly, one of the best features in Gmail today, the ability to use POP3 with any standard mail client. However, for those of you who now use Microsoft's Office 2007, you'll soon realize that it's a little more difficult then first expected. With application instructions that haven't been updated for the new client, and an automated Gmail configuration tool that only works for Outlook Express (XP), and Office XP and older. In this post, I'm going to post detailed instructions on how you can get your Gmail content delivered to your Outlook 2007 inbox.

First thing is first, enable POP3 in your Gmail settings, I'd recommend enabling it so that FUTURE email gets delivered to your inbox, and not all the mail. Which is what I did myself, considering I have nearly 800MB of emails already.

First thing is first, if you have Outlook 2007 installed, go to tools, then Account settings. Notice anything different? The whole account options section has been revised for this release. The email tab is already selected, if not, select it now, and click the new button. Make sure that "Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, and HTTP is selected, and click next. You'll see a new screen with spaces for your name, email address, and password, however, you'll want to ignore those and tick the "Manually configure server settings or additional server types.", and click next.

You'll be greeted with a similar screen to what you encountered before, again, make sure that the Internet Email section is ticked and click next again. Ah, here we go, the section where you'll be filling out your main information. You'll see in the screenshot that the information is pretty straight forward, your name, email address, and so on. Now the thing to pay attention to is the information afterwards. Make sure that Account Type is set to POP3, and the servers are POP.GMAIL.COM for Incoming Mail Server, and SMTP.GMAIL.COM for Outgoing mail server, or SMTP.

Log on information should be your Gmail address, followed by your password. Also be sure to tick the "Require log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)" is checked. Then, be sure to tick the "More Settings..." button. This will take you to the manual configuration screen.





If you haven't already, click the Outgoing Server tab, and fill out your information accordingly. Check "My outgoing server (smtp) requires authentication", and tick the "Log on using" circle/box and fill out your information, your user name should include your @Gmail.com tacked onto it. Then be sure to check the "Require Secure Password Authentication (SPA). Don't click OK yet, we are not finished, click the "Advanced tab".




On the "Advanced" tab, you'll see the Incoming server (POP3), Outgoing server (SMTP), and so on. The things to pay attention to are the POP3, SMTP, and the "Use the following type of encrypted connection" selection area. First, throw this number into the POP3 section, 995. Then check the "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)". Then place the following number into the SMTP section, 465. It too requires SSL, so select that as your encryption in the "Use the following type of encryption connection" box. You can leave all the other crap alone. Click OK, and be sure to test your settings. If all goes well, you'll be greeted with a test email in your Gmail box.

Update: It seems that Google decided to post some guides. :)

Additional helpful links..

Google Mail Outlook 2007 Help Center

Configuring Other Mail Clients

32 comments:

Andrew said...

Thank you. I downloaded the gmail troubleshooter and could not get this to work for Outlook 2007 until I read your blog. THANK YOU. Everything works like you say except the SPA. The troubleshooter doesn't like those.

John said...

:) Glad I could help you out, Andrew.

Scott Hill said...

This is the most helpful, accurate how to I have found on this subject. I have emailed the link to about 50 friends. Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

Perfect! Thanks

Anonymous said...

Thank you your setup advice worked great! Maivina

Anonymous said...

:o)
U R a big ol piece of magic!
After too long following gmails instructions to no use - I found your site, followed your directions and I am now up and rolling with gmail in my Outlook 2007. Thank you so much!

MBA Seeker said...

Awesome instructions! Thanks!

Tim said...

Thanks for the help.
I've been tearing my hair out with unresolved "Oops... error code 007" messages using Gmail's web interface, and this has sorted by problem out quickly and easily.

Momentané said...

working... getting an error accusing an "AUTH" thing related to the fact that user and pass not correspondent

Anonymous said...

Mate, you're a legend, that was so simple compared to all the hoops you normally have to jump through. Now if you could trouble shoot the reset of the office 2007 package that would be greatly appreciated.

Murdoch said...

Mate,thank you. You have saved me me a nightmare through your easy tuition.Works perfectly on XP Pro.

Murdoch

Anonymous said...

You are great. I tried setting up an IMAP version of my account as well as POP3, and couldn't get it to send until I read your post. Thanks very much!

Patricia said...

Sorry, mine is Vista Home Premium. I followed your instruction but still had problems with SMTP. Please kindly help. Thanks

John-Hiroshi said...

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=86373

For those continuing to have issues, Google has now created a support page for Outlook 2007. :)

John-Hiroshi said...

Also try changing the SMTP port to Port: 465 or 587.

Andy said...

for outlook 2007 of outgoing settings, i tried to use SSL but its not work! after it i found TL is work perfectly for it! Wish it help for all of you!

jeevan said...

great bro.thank u so much.i ve wasted my time over lot of web sites but u did the work.thanks again

Gaurav Agarwal said...

Gr8. I pray u should be a rich guy...

Anonymous said...

very usefull information, thanks a million.
I really dont understand why they dont put this info on the help secction of the gmail. odd....

anyway, very useful info.. thanks again

Scott said...

John,
What a haze this has been! Unfortunately, your instructions didn't work for me. Running XP SP3 and Outlook 2007. Have another Gmail account I loaded a few months back that works fine...but using the same settings DIDN'T work!! Maybe SP3 is the issue as it was recently loaded automatically by Windows.

Anyway, using the Google help center from a link provided by John-Hiroshi worked: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=86374

The main differences:
1. You suggest clicking "Require logon using SPA" on the Internet Email settings (they don't)
2. Under "Logon information" on the same screen you have the "@gmail.com" extension (they don't)
3. They don't use the "Log on using..." under "Outgoing Server" tab on "More Settings".
4. Under "Advanced Tab" of "More Settings", they use 995 for incoming, 587 for outgoing, and TLS.

I have no idea why this has to be so hard, but thanks for the help and I'm glad to see it works for some people. Thanks to Hiroshi for the link from the Google site.

sc

Tarek Bedir said...

Thank you for posting these settings. They are really helpful and everything worked well.

Whizzed said...

Thanks John I was obliged to you...On the subject of settings Gmail does not in fact give the correct ones...you did though.

Noam said...

Perfect. Works the first time. takes 3 minutes. Thank you! (and why on earth couldn't gmail help get it right? It's not always that technology sucks, it's that people don't do their work right!)

Srinivasa Rao said...

Thanx a lot my Outlook 2007 working fine!!!

ADK_Mike said...

Hey, great posting. Well executed, very simple to understand and see. Your use of visuals was a great idea, and really helped myself and many others that I have sent this to.

Alex said...

This action can do with help next softwar-how to repair dbx files,because this tool has many facilities and as far as I know,utiltiy is free as is known,it recovering corrupted Outlook Express folders,extract all messages that should be recovered from the dbx repair file,save all extracted messages to the hard drive as message files in the eml format before a repairing Outlook Express,tool repairing corrupted Outlook Express folders comes down to the process of repairing the corresponding *.dbx files (dbx repair, repairing Outlook Express),recover on the hard drive, on a CD or a DVD or on a flash drive,supports files of the .dbx format for Outlook Express versions 5, 5.5 and 6,repair dbx files of Outlook Express in the batch mode,recovers information from *.dbx files up to 4GB in size.

ldesmar said...

Have been looking evrywhere for help to correct Outlook 2007 problems using Gmail via IMAP instead of POP3!

I came acorss your post and wondered if you had anything similar for IMAP settings instead! FYI: I did find some IMAP instrcutions from Gmail regarding Outlook 2007 IMAP settings. I followed these and am now receiving/sending email's. However, I am unable to use the "Auto-Archiving" features from Outlook, even though I set-up all the required "default rules"! The only thing I get when running "Archive" is the creation of the folder structure...but none of the emails are moved into them!

I can still manually move emails into the archives but really need the "Auto-Archive" to work as my mail keeps getting bigger and causing issues with synching.

Any similar tips for IMAP settings ?

Lucky Luke

Alex said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alexis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alexis said...

My Outlook and files too were damaged because of viruses.But in one forum I found the good decision-recover pst contacts.Tool helped me in two minutes for free and I saw how tool extract contacts as *.vcf files, that can be further imported to any Personal Information Management (PIM) tool or Windows Address Book.

Alex said...

My friend told me about his problem.His mails were corrupted and I he used-how to view .ost files.Software solved his problems in seconds,moreover it made it free of charge.Program demonstrated me how convert *.ost files to *.pst files, that can be easily opened by any email client.

Alex said...

My friend told me about his problem.His mails were corrupted and I he used-how to view .ost files.Software solved his problems in seconds,moreover it made it free of charge.Program demonstrated me how convert *.ost files to *.pst files, that can be easily opened by any email client.