Saturday, September 15, 2007

Finally Comcast...

Unsure wether or not I've written about my problems with Comcast in the past, but if not, I've had bandwidth problems since day 1. Basically during high volume times my download speed would be capped at 50 kbps (Kilobytes), out of a normal 1.1 mbps (megabytes), or 8856 kilobits. Now normally with their speed at night, it caps to somewhere around 12000 kilobits. Getting to the point, honestly. Anyway, Comcast has taken some slightly questionable methods of increasing their bandwidth, from limiting torrent traffic, to actually cutting off high downloaders. This apparently has helped tremendously, stabilizing their network to the point where high volume times are almost indistinguishable between normal (Non-speed boost) times. Since I don't download massive amounts of data, and I don't use torrents, this has been nothing but awesome on my end.  However, for those warez monkies out there, your days are numbered, they're really cracking down.

 

While in my opinion this gives a shield of protection over it's users from lawsuits by the disgustingly sue-happy RIAA, it also impedes on some of the rights of the user, which need to be made more clearer on their Terms of Service agreements.

No comments: