Friday, August 21, 2009

Microsoft Windows 7 Blog Spotlight

So I sit here, early in the morning, and notice that one of my friends was featured on Microsoft’s Windows 7 spotlight, congrats to him by the way. So I wonder, how did he manage this feat, and I learned that Microsoft has a Clubhouse thing going on. Where you write large articles in the clubhouse and get the opportunity to be featured on their main Windows 7 website.

While it features a pre-approval sign up, which automatically made me think back to my not so friendly articles referring to Microsoft’s failures with Vista, I decided to press forward. Then I stopped dead in my tracks when a friend mentioned to me that Microsoft will not approve a blogger that has had negative posts about Microsoft and about a dozen little red flags popped up with little plinking noises. “Wait a damn minute.”, I think to myself, as I stare at the About Me section of the sign up process, “Why does it matter if I wrote some negative articles about Microsoft?”. Well, I soon realized that the Clubhouse community was a giant advertising campaign that Microsoft is cleverly using their Clubhouse members to deploy.

Don’t get me wrong, the articles are top-notch, and of great quality, which saddens me since they’re basically being used as pawns to promote Windows 7, but look at the elements here. You have several hundred users, vying for that coveted prize of a gift certificate, of which of course Microsoft will place on their main website. Now you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that Microsoft isn’t going to post potentially negative articles on their main website. So while the articles are good, they’re horribly, horribly biased, and it discredits the writes in general, who I think don’t even realize their being used to advertise Windows 7.

No comments: