Monday, December 14, 2009

Poor Neglected Blog + Geforce 7600 GS Black Out Fix

Haven't written here, probably because I haven't had anything to write about. I guess I should keep things up, and write about a few fixes that I've discovered with the Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS video card with Windows XP.

Currently, the latest Nvidia Forceware driver set will cause some instability with the Geforce 7600GS video card, with symptoms involving the screen blacking out during AVI playback with FFDShow, and gameplay in Left 4 Dead, The Sims 3, and World of Warcraft. I went google hunting to try and find a solution for the problem, and found a suggestion telling me to install a two year old driver set Forceware 93.71, which I will provide a link below. Be sure to completely remove any trace of the newer driver set before you install these drivers, something that'll save you headaches in the future.

Ever since I installed these drivers, which date back to late 2006, I haven't had a single black screen or instability issue, which is pretty bad on Nvidia's side, as it shows the lack of quality in the upkeep of older hardware. I cannot tell if this issue appears on the Geforce 7600GT, and if you get any video issues at all with the 7600 GT then it appears this effects both GPUs.

Nvidia Forceware 93.71

No comments: